left Xtraordinary Living At Its Best: Retirement can wait!

Monday, September 04, 2006

New Visitor? Like what you read? Then please subscribe to my RSS Blog Feed or sign up for Free Email Updates. Thanks for Visiting!

Retirement can wait!

I was riding on my way back from lunch when I noticed two young kids (about 5 & 8 years old respectively) running a lemonade stand. Given that I have a "soft heart" for budding entrepreneurs, I stopped and decided to support them.

The young one was so excited - particularly because it turned out that I was their first customer. We ended up chatting for a few minutes and I left there feeling like I had connected with the little kid in a special way.

This experience reminded me of a similar one I had in Tanzania a few years back. I was leading one of our Learning Vacations and we visited a Massai Village. A few of the Massai villagers were selling various items. Though I had no intention of buying anything, I ended up buying a genuine Massai spear as a souvenir. The reason for this was my interaction with the Massai man and his wife who sold me the spear. They didn't speak English and I didn't speak Swahili. However, we found a way to communicate and laugh and made the whole experience much more than commerce. I felt like I had connected with those people in a very special way.

The catalyst in both of these situations was doing business. Had it not been for it, I would have never interacted with the kids or the Massai couple. And my life would have certainly been poorer as a result.

I look at my business the same way. It is a catalyst to offer me opportunities to connect with people that I would normally not connect with. And my life is much richer as a result. No wonder I'm not in any hurry to retire!

0 comments: