left Xtraordinary Living At Its Best: Senior moments- you just never know!

Monday, March 06, 2006

New Visitor? Like what you read? Then please subscribe to my RSS Blog Feed or sign up for Free Email Updates. Thanks for Visiting!

Senior moments- you just never know!

Last week I had a "senior moment" - I lost my car keys (a rather expensive incident when you happen to drive a BMW.) My wife and I went to the movies at night and when we came out, I couldn't find my keys. Fortunately I had made a "wallet key" and we were able to drive home.

I first heard about "wallet keys" about 10 years ago. AAA offers them for free as part of your membership package and I've carried one ever since. Unfortunately, when I purchased my BMW last year, the AAA wallet cards weren't available. I debated about getting BMW's version of a "wallet key" since a) I'd never lost my keys and b) this key was not free. I decided to get one because "you just never know."

Last week I also received an email with information that will help you minimize the damage in case you ever lose (or someone steals) your wallet. Because you just never know...

1) Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID
REQUIRED".

2) Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both
sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what
you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone
numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place.

3) File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your
wallet was stolen. This proves to credit
providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an
investigation (if there ever is one).

4) But here's what is perhaps most important of all: call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. The alert means any company who checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit. Here are the numbers:

a) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

b) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

c) Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

d) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate the blog you and Lindon are doing Rick. Not only do you take the time to share some of the aspects of your lives -like Lindon's fitness challenge, but you also take the time to give us useful time saving information like today's post on "losing your wallet." I knew 2 out of the 4 things you recommended doing, but the addt'l points will make sure I handle it properly. This all adds up to helping me live a more "extraordinary life!" I'm going to make sure I keep reading. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

wow rick, driving a beemer now...it also helps having something that says "reward if found no questions asked" inside your wallet. this way your wallet will have a much easier time finding it's way back to you less the cash and other valuables. at very least you'll get the pics and drivers license back which is a pain...

Rick Itzkowich said...

Al,

Thanks for adding to the information. I will put that in my wallet.