left Xtraordinary Living At Its Best: How much is enough?

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

New Visitor? Like what you read? Then please subscribe to my RSS Blog Feed or sign up for Free Email Updates. Thanks for Visiting!

How much is enough?

Those of you following this blog know that I started biking in January of '06 in preparation for my recently completed Learning Vacation in Portugal. One of the questions I had at the time was "how much should I train for this trip?." Having never done any kind of biking, I had no idea what to expect. After consulting with several people who had experience in these type of trips, I got such a broad range of answers, that I still didn't have a clear idea of how much to train.

While doing this research, I found I was missing a key ingredient to be able to answer this question. This ingredient was "my primary purpose" for this trip. I also realized that I needed to take into account the amount of time that I was willing to devote to this endeavor. To make a long story short, I was able to come up with a range that included a minimum and an ideal training schedule. It turns out that I did more than the minimum but definitely less than the ideal.

Once I rode in Portugal, the results of my training allowed me to fulfill my primary purpose: ride every day, do most of the rides available and avoid getting so fatigued that I wouldn't enjoy the rest of the experience. However, this training was not sufficient for doing ALL of the rides available. Consequently I missed some experiences that I would have loved to have had. That's the price I paid for not doing more training. A former mentor of mine once said: "You can have anything you want but you can't have everything you want." How true!

Since coming back from Portugal, I've continued riding. However, given that I don't have a specific objective (like getting ready for another trip) I was once again faced with the question of "how much should I ride?" It was time to revisit my purpose to get direction. I concluded that currently my purpose for riding is primarily a social one. And given that several of the riders I've been meeting seem to regularly do 25-50 mile rides, I've decided that I need to be in shape to be able to do these distances on a regular basis. I now have a program in place that will allow me to do this.

The next time you ask yourself "how much is enough?" remember to establish a clear primary purpose for your activity. Many of the courses we do at PL&L help people establish and/or clarify their main purpose for doing things. It is a very useful tool to have to help us make more effective choices that will lead us to Xtraordinary Living.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

0 comments: