left Xtraordinary Living At Its Best: Why?

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

New Visitor? Like what you read? Then please subscribe to my RSS Blog Feed or sign up for Free Email Updates. Thanks for Visiting!

Why?

In my line of work, people constantly tell me WHAT they want. Things like: “I want to get in shape,” “I want to make more money,” “I need to get more organized,” etc. What is missing in those statements is the purpose – the “WHY.”

Why is the “why” so important? Because without it, we lack the necessary context to make our wants happen. For example, getting in shape to be able to walk 18 holes of golf without getting winded is very different than getting in shape to run the San Diego Marathon. The objective is different and so is the amount of training necessary to accomplish the objective. So if you want to make your “what” happen be sure you are clear about the “why.”

Speaking of “what’s & why’s” it just dawned on me that I’ve been lacking the “why” for this blog and the podcast series that I’m considering. Lately I’ve been thinking a lot and discussing these activities with several people. I’m realizing that the purpose of these activities is to increase my conversation with our clients.

Over the past couple of years, Lindon and I have been spending the majority of our time working with our corporate clients. Because of this, our interaction with our open enrollment clients has been much less than it used to be. I miss these interactions. So I hope that this blog allows me to re-engage in these type of conversations and that it doesn’t turn out to be a monologue.

If you are reading this blog, please be sure you type your comments or email me at rick@productivelearning.com and let me know what’s on your mind. The more we hear from you and what is important to you, the more we can make this an interesting conversation.

1 comments:

Susan Almon-Pesch, CME said...

Enjoying the style and format of the new blog -- keep your thoughts and ideas coming. It's a short and sweet read. Congrats, and I'll be back. Sue